The unofficial blog for: Introduction to Architecture, ARCH 120, Fall 2008 Johnson County Community College Business and Technology Division Architecture Program

Monday, November 10, 2008

Insight on which building we found most interesting

The building that I found most interesting, other than my own, was the World Trade Center. I think I found this building the most interesting because of A. the attacks of 911. B. The designer was afraid of hieghts. and C. It was once the tallest building in the world, and the amount of steel used to make it was outrageous. I found it a little odd that the designer was afraid of hieghts and he made one of the worlds most renowned tallest structure. I though it was funny that he made the windows some 18" wide because he wanted to make the people inside feel safe considering he himself was afraid of being up so high. It was this factor that he got a lot of criticism for. I also found it interesting that he thought his building was so safe and still the attacks of 911 brought them down within an hour or two. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how much steel you use and how safe you think it is; there's still a possibilty of it coming down. I also liked this building because of its symbolism and because I actually visited them before 911

No comments: